Disabling IE Add-On Messages
Want to get rid of those pesky add-on messages when browsing in IE (Internet Explorer)? It’s relatively easy, especially if you’re comfortable with editing Windows Registry – but it’s not necessary.
The “Add-on Performance Advisor” feature automatically checks for add-ons, which might slow down IE. But it lets you disable them by showing a popup notification message “Speed up browsing by disabling add-ons” at the bottom-center of IE window.
That popup notification bar has two buttons “Choose add-ons” and “Ask me later”. If you click on “Choose add-ons” button, you’ll see a list of add-ons that might slow down your browser, and it shows a “Disable” button to disable one or all of the add-ons. If you click on the “Ask me later” button, you’ll see the message later. That can be annoying when you use selected add-ons and don’t want to disable any of them. But there are three ways to get rid of the message.
1. Increase Performance Threshold
- When the popup notification message appears again, click on the “Choose add-ons” button to open a new window.
- Go the “Tell me when…” phrase at the bottom of the window, click the dropdown menu, change the time to 10 seconds and click “Done.”
That should effectively disable the message. If you want to choose to see the pop-up message when you think it would be useful, you can edit Windows Registry.
- Type regedit in RUN or the Start Menu search box and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMAO Settings
- In the pane on the right side, double-click on “AddonLoadTimeThreshold”. Then, set Base to Decimal and set the value to 10000.
- Click OK
If you don’t want to change the performance threshold using Registry but do want to open the Add-Ons Performance Advisor message the next time you launch IE, set value of “AddonLoadTimeThreshold” to 1 and delete “SuppressPerfBarUntil” key. That will reset it to appear automatically when you launch IE.
2. Group Policy Editor
This is a simpler fix to permanently disable the pop-up.
- Type gpedit.msc in RUN or the Start Menu search box and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.
- In the window on the right, double-click on “Disable add-ons performance notifications” and set it to Enabled. (Yes, you are enabling the “disable” capability.)
We recommend this only if you are an advanced user, and even then, we’d like to be able to walk you through the process. We’ll send you the steps on request and set up an appointment to make the changes.
Whichever method you choose, should you want to eliminate the annoying pop-up message, we’re ready to answer your questions or help you make the change. Just call 973-433-6676 or email us.